close the window


NZZ news: Switzerland re-opens Lockerbie case

A Special Attorney is investigating a federal criminal police officer.
Copy from Robert Black’s article Thursday, 1 May 2014

25 years after the attack against a Pan Am jumbo over Lockerbie an external prosecutor is to investigate the influence of Swiss “players”. The findings are full of contradictions.
Andreas Schmid

An exploding bomb caused a jumbo of the U.S. airline Pan Am to crash over Lockerbie in Scotland on December 21, 1988. 259 passengers and 11 residents of the town were killed. A Libyan secret service member was found guilty of smuggling the bomb, fitted with a timer, onto the aircraft. The offender, who died in 2012, was sentenced in 2001 to life in prison.

The timer which he used, was allegedly delivered from Switzerland to Libya. However, the investigation results of the Scottish authorities, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the CIA contained numerous contradictions that affect a Zurich electronics dealer who has been accused of having produced the timer of the bomb.

Doubts on this issue and a charge brought by the dealer now lead to the fact that the renowned retired prosecutor Felix Bänziger has been appointed as Special Attorney with a new investigation. As a former federal police detective is the focus of the proceedings, the Attorney General relinquished the case. "To counter any appearance of partiality, we asked the supervisory authority of the prosecution to use a special prosecutor," says Nathalie Guth from the legal department of the Attorney General. She confirms information of "NZZ am Sonntag", according to which Bänziger was authorized to investigate the federal agents charged by the electronics dealer.

According to the dealer, the police officer, now working for the Federal Intelligence Service, procured the alleged evidence of the complicity of the Zurich dealer in the attack at a later date. It is on record, in any case, that the federal police detective in June 1989 laid hands on a component of a circuit board in the shop of the dealer, as it was later discovered at the crash site. The finding is entered in the files and in the final report with three different data.

Material raises questions

The timer for the bomb, said to have been delivered from Switzerland and assigned by American intelligence to the production series of the Zurich dealer, also contained coating materials that he had not yet used at the time of the attack. The Beobachter in June 2012 suggested that the electronics dealer had been accused of using a timer from a later production series.

Scottish investigators had met in May 1989 in Bern with representatives of the Attorney General. The topic of the information exchange was the Palestinian splinter group, PFLP, which was made accountable for the Swissair crash in Würenlingen 1970 and other attacks.

A process  for aiding and abetting against the Zurich dealer was finally opened in 1998, but discontinued six years later.

The dealer was targeted by the investigation authorities because of his former business dealings: he had worked intensively with the Libyan government and its intelligence agency to build wireless networks for the Gaddafi regime for years. During the mid-80s, the Zurich man, who also worked for the East German secret service Stasi since the early seventies, also delivered 20 timers to Libya. These activities were viewed with suspicion by the authorities, although Switzerland had approved the exports.

Demanded damages

In the complaint against the former Federal Criminal Police Officer, which the special prosecutor Bänziger takes on, the electronics dealer claims that the police officer had taken away the part without authorization of his employee. At that time, according to the Beobachter no criminal proceedings against the dealer were pending, and Switzerland had not granted Scotland police assistance. It was because the actions of the police had brought him into connection with the attack, that his business incurred enormous damage, that the Zurich dealer requested 47.7 million francs from the Confederation. The special prosecutor has to examine questions arising regarding a possible ‘statute of limitations’ or a criminal offense, says Nathalie Guth of the Attorney General.

Felix Bänziger

The supervisory authority of the Attorney General has entrusted the longtime prosecutor with the Lockerbie investigation.

A man for delicate cases

The 66-year-old Felix Bänziger has gone through a few stations in his career. The lawyer became known in the late nineties as a representative of the former federal prosecutor Carla Del Ponte. Previously, he was chief of the criminal police in the canton of St Gallen and Ausserrhoden prosecutor. Until his retirement in May 2013, Bänziger served as chief prosecutor of the canton of Solothurn. For the Zurich Government Bänziger 2012 led proceedings against the Director of Justice Martin Graf, who had been charged by a private person. The Vaud Cantonal Court entrusted the eastern Swiss resident with an administrative inquiry in May 2013 in connection with the killing of 19 year old Marie.


Schweiz rollt Fall Lockerbie neu auf

Ein ausserordentlicher Staatsanwalt ermittelt gegen einen Bundeskriminalpolizisten.

25 Jahre nach dem Attentat gegen einen Pan Am Jumbo über Lockerbie soll ein externer Strafverfolger den Einfluss von Schweizer Akteuren untersuchen. Die bisherigen Erkenntnisse sind voller Widersprüche.
Andreas Schmid

Eine explodierende Bombe hat am 21. Dezember 1988 einen Jumbo der US-Fluggesellschaft Pan Am über Lockerbie in Schottland abstürzen lassen. 259 Insassen und 11 Bewohner der Stadt kamen ums Leben. Ein libyscher Geheimdienstangehöriger wurde schuldig befunden, die mit einem Timer versehene Bombe ins Flugzeug geschmuggelt zu haben. Der 2012 verstorbene Täter war 2001 zu einer lebenslänglichen Gefängnisstrafe verurteilt wurden. Die Schaltuhr, die er benutzte, soll aus der Schweiz nach Libyen geliefert worden sein. Die Ermittlungsergebnisse der schottischen Behörden, der US-Bundespolizei FBI und des Geheimdiensts CIA enthielten jedoch zahlreiche Widersprüche, die auch einen Zürcher Elektronikhändler betreffen, der bezichtigt wurde, den Timer der Bombe produziert zu haben. Zweifel an diesem Sachverhalt sowie eine Anzeige des Verdächtigten führen nun dazu, dass der renommierte pensionierte Strafverfolger Felix Banziger als ausserordentlicher Staatsanwalt mit einer, neuen Untersuchung betraut wurde.

Weil ein früherer Bundeskriminalpolizist im Fokus des Verfahrens steht, trat die Bundesanwaltschaft den Fall ab. «Um jedem Anschein von Befangenheit entgegenzutreten, ersuchten wir die Aufsichtsbehörde über die Bundesanwaltschaft, einen ausserordentlichen Staatsanwalt einzusetzen», sagt Nathalie Guth vom Rechtsdienst der Bundesanwaltschaft. Sie bestätigt Informationen der «NZZ am Sonntag», wonach Bänziger ermächtigt wurde, gegen den vom Elektroniker angezeigten Bundespolizisten zu ermitteln. Nach der Darstellung des Händlers soll der inzwischen für den Nachrichtendienst des Bundes tätige Beamte nämlich den angeblichen Beweis für die Gehilfenschaft des Zürchers am Attentat nachträglich beschafft haben. Aktenkundig ist jedenfalls, dass der Bundeskriminalpolizist im Juni 1989 im Laden des Händlers ein Bestandteil einer Leiterplatte behändigte, wie es später an der Absturzstelle entdeckt wurde. Der Fund ist in den Akten und im Schlussbericht mit drei verschiedenen Daten vermerkt.

Material wirft Fragen auf

Die Schaltuhr zur Bombe, die aus der Schweiz geliefert worden sein soll und die der amerikanische Geheimdienst der Serie des Zürcher Händlers zuwies, enthielt zudem Beschichtungsmaterialien, die er zur Zeit des Attentats gar noch nicht verwendet hatte. Der Elektroniker sei mithilfe eines Timers aus einer spateren Produktion beschuldigt worden, vermutete der «Beobachter» im Juni 2012. Schottische Ermittler hatten sich im Mai 1989 in Bern mit Vertretern der Bundesanwaltschaft getroffen. Gegenstand des Informationsaustauschs war damals die palästinensische Splittergruppe PFLP, die für den Swissair-Absturz von Würenlingen 1970 und weitere Attentate zur Rechenschaft gezogen wurde.

Ein Verfahren wegen Gehilfenschaft gegen den Zürcher Händler wurde erst 1998 eröffnet, jedoch sechs Jahre später eingestellt.

Der Händler war nicht zuletzt wegen seiner früheren Geschäfte ins Visier der Untersuchungsbehörden geraten: Jahrelang hatte er intensiv mit der libyschen Regierung und dem Geheimdienst geschäftet und für das Ghadhafi-Regime Funknetze konstruiert. Mitte der achtziger Jahre lieferte der Zürcher, der seit den frühen siebziger Jahren ebenfalls für den DDR-Geheimdienst Stasi arbeitete, auch 20 Schaltuhren nach Libyen. Diese Tätigkeiten wurden von den Behörden argwöhnisch beobachtet, obwohl die Schweiz die Exporte bewilligt hatte.

Schadenersatz gefordert

In der Anzeige gegen den ehemaligen Bundeskriminalpolizisten. der sich der ausserordentliche Staatsanwalt Bänziger annimmt, bringt der Elektroniker vor, der Kommissar habe seinem Mitarbeiter ohne Befugnis ein Bestandteil abgenommen. Damals war laut dem «Beobachter» kein Strafverfahren gegen den Händler hängig, und die Schweiz hatte Schottland noch keine Rechtshilfe gewährt. Weil ihn das Vorgehen des Polizisten mit dem Attentat in Verbindung gebracht und seinem Geschäft einen enormen Schaden zugefügt habe, verlangt der Zürcher von der Eidgenossenschaft 47,7 Millionen Franken. Fragen zur allfälligen Verjährung oder zur Strafbarkeit habe der ausserordentliche Staatsanwalt zu prüfen, sagt Nathalie Guth von der Bundesanwaltschaft.

Felix Bänziger

Die Aufsichtsbehörde über die Bundesanwaltschaft hat den langjährigen Strafverfolger mit der Lockerbie-Anzeige betraut.

Ein Mann für heikle Fälle

Der 66-jährige Felix Bänziger hat in seiner Karriere einige Stationen durchlaufen. Bekannt wurde der Jurist Ende der neunziger Jahre als Stellvertreter der damaligen Bundesanwältin Car la Del Ponte. Zuvor war er Chef der Kriminalpolizei im Kanton St. Gallen und Ausserrhoder Staatsanwalt. Bis zur Pensionierung im Mai 2013 amtierte Bänziger als Oberstaatsanwalt des Kantons Solothurns. Für den Zürcher Regierungsrat führte Banziger 2012 ein Verfahren gegen den Justizdirektor Martin Graf, der von einer Privatperson angezeigt worden war. Das Waadtländer Kantonsgericht betraute den Ostschweizer im Mai 2013 mit einer Administrativuntersuchung im Zusammenhang mit der Tötung der 19-jährigen Marie.

by Edwin and Mahnaz Bollier, MEBO Ltd. Switzerland.


The MEBO Inc.-defence team and Edwin Bollier, VR

E-mail: mahnaz@bluewin.ch - URL: http://www.mebocom-defilee.ch
C COPYRIGHT  EDWIN & MAHNAZ  BOLLIER-TAVAKOLI   8047 ZüRICH  14.JUNI 2005
MAHNAZ  BOLLIER-TAVAKOLI,  PRIVAT  INVESTIGATOR, FACT-FINDING COMMITTEE
E-mail: mahnaz@bluewin.ch - URL: http://www.lockerbie.ch

close the window